Thursday, December 5, 2013

Owl Party Goody Bags

Whew. Prepping for a kids birthday party is no simple task. But she'll only be 2 once, so why not do something fun? These owl goody bags are a pretty literal translation of the inspiration pin, with one added feature -- feet!
The inspiration pin was only a picture, so I had to figure out the components myself. Here's my rough material list:
  • 5¼" wide brown paper bags
  • 3" diameter black circles made of 65 lb. card stock
  • 2½" diameter white circles made of 65 lb. card stock
  • 1⅛" diameter black circles made of 65 lb. cardstock
  • 1" x 1½" yellow diamonds made of 65 lb. cardstock
  • 4" (high) x 4¼" (wide) patterned paper (like this one). 
    • ** The height is dependent on how much stuff you want to put in your goody bag. I filled a test bag, folded over the top, and stuck a test eye on. I measured from the center of the eye to ¼" above the bottom of the bag to determine my height.
  • 1¾" (high) x 1½" (wide) yellow feet made of 65 lb. cardstock
  • Glue stick
  • Scotch tape
  • Stapler
  • Scissors (straight and edging)
  • A circle cutter would have been great, something like this 
I started off by cutting all the circles (I made 15 bags...that's 90 circles. Cut. By. Hand.). Then I assembled the eyes with the glue stick. I centered the white circle on the black and then when I placed the small black circle I left an equal width on the side. 

Next I cut out the diamonds and the feet (trace, trace, trace, cut, cut, cut). Last, I cut out the body sections from the patterned paper. I used 4 different patterns and edging scissors for a little pizzaz (another slight change from the inspiration pin). 

Now it's time to assemble. Glue the body ¼" from the bottom of the bag. I positioned the eyes so the center aligned with the top of the body piece, allowing them to touch in the middle. Next, position the nose so the top aligns with center of the eyes.

Time to put the goodies in! Try to expand the sides of the bags a little so your owl will look plump. Once you have the bags filled, fold the tops over. I left about ¾" between the top of the eyes and the fold.

Now take a look at the inspiration pin. They left about a ½" at the top fold before cutting down the triangle eyebrow thingies. I had a screaming toddler watching Sesame Street in the background and wanting to 'help,' so I overlooked this step. Not a big deal, but figure out what your preference is before you start cutting. I pretty much just folded the top over, eyeballed where I wanted the center of the triangle to be, and cut a vertical line up to that point. Then I angled the cut up to the corners.

Give the fold another good crease and stick a staple in it. I tried to think of a prettier way to close the bags, but my brain broke after those 4 hours (4 HOURS!!) of cutting pieces out and glueing. Last but not least, tip the bags on their backs and tape the feet on.

And now you are the proud owner of a clutch of owlets (yeah, that's right, I googled what the heck a flock of owls is called and Ask.com provided). 

Inspiration pin:

No comments:

Post a Comment